Dan Figueras, Assistant Principal
WELCOME TO THE ART DEPARTMENT
Lehman HS Arts Program
Our Arts program is comprised of project and performance based classes designed to help our students learn to express themselves through the Creative Arts. Our classes include Dance, Drawing, Cartooning, Photography, Guitar, Piano, Digital Media and Filmmaking. In these classes, students learn to use creative thought, problem solving skills, critical thinking and artistic ingenuity to gain knowledge, develop skills and perform or create work related to artistic concepts and challenges.
Fall 2017 Coffee House
Winter Dance Recital 2018
Mr. Kane's students - "Minecraft Art: Online and Unplugged"
Mr. Kane's Cartooning and Comic Creations student artwork
National Core Arts Standards
National Core Arts Standards
Generate, develop, refine and conceptualize artistic ideas to complete artistic work.
Select, analyze, Convey meaning through and interpret artistic work for presentation.
Perceive and analyze artistic work, Interpret intent, and apply criteria to evaluate artistic work.
Synthesize and relate knowledge, personal experiences, cultural and historical context to make art with deeper understanding.
What are we doing? (See Aim)
Why are we doing this?
-To meet Visual Arts standards:
Where is it leading? To the creation of artworks that reveal personal expression, problem solving, creative and critical thinking skills.
Visual Arts Goals and Standards
Visual Arts Instructional Goals
- Introduce students to the creative world of visual art through discussions, projects, and group work.
- Teach students specific concepts, terms, and vocabulary associated with art.
- Teach students art techniques using a variety of materials including photography, Movie Maker, film, Photoshop, painting, drawing, perspective, gestures, silhouette, and abstraction.
- Introduce students to historical and cultural aspects that evolved and changed art over time.
- Teach students to self-reflect and critique art using observations, insights, and critical thinking.
Criteria for Assessment
- Understanding and application of learned concepts and ideas.
- Craftsmanship and completion of classwork assignments, art projects, and homework drawings.
- Evidence of time, thought, and effort in all work.
- Composition and creativity within art projects.
- Active participation in class discussions, critique sessions and group work.
- Use of computers/technology to obtain visual aids and reference materials when appropriate.
Means for Assessment
- Art projects, films, photographs, quizzes, exams, homework drawings and worksheets, participation, personal growth in aesthetic achievement, portfolio development, classroom cooperation and use of critique for self-reflection, personal and peer assessment.
National Visual Arts Standards Based Learning Objectives
Creating- Students will be able to:
- Use multiple approaches to begin creative endeavors and reveal personal expression.
- Choose and effectively use a variety of art making approaches to begin creating a work of art.
- Use varied art-making approaches to develop works of art that communicate a current theme or idea.
- Demonstrate safe handling of materials, tools, and equipment.
-Implement Art Elements and Art Principles to create thoughtful and creative works of art.
-Apply relevant criteria from traditional and contemporary cultural contexts to examine, reflect on, and plan revisions for works of art and design in progress.
-Apply relevant task criteria from rubrics, self and peer assessments to refine and revise artwork.
Present- Students will be able to:
- Analyze and curate completed art works for preservation, display and presentation.
- Analyze, explain and evaluate the quality, craftsmanship and intentionality of completed artworks.
- Analyze, explain and evaluate the effectiveness of the chosen plan and execution of artwork providing rationale for artistic claims and artistic choices.
Respond- Students will be able to:
- Hypothesize ways in which art influences perception and understanding of human experiences.
- Explain and gives examples of ways in which art influences perception and understanding of contemporary themes or ideas.
- Interpret personal and historical artwork or collection of works, supported by relevant and sufficient evidence found in the work and its various contexts.
- Establish relevant criteria in order to evaluate a work of art or collection of works.
- Establishes relevant criteria and applies to evaluating a work of art or collection of works.
Connect- Students will be able to:
-Document process of developing ideas from early stages to fully elaborated ideas.
-Documents process of developing a theme or idea from early stages to the completed work.
-Share relationship between themes and subject with personal experiences and interests.
Course Outline - Music
The Course Outlines for Music classes are below.